Sunday, October 29, 2006

Bring me back!


Hillside Trail II
Originally uploaded by Rohan Kohli.
I purchased a handheld GPS device a couple weeks ago, and today I made the dinky device go the distance. I walked a mile and a half of an unmarked trail in Bloomington, marking waypoints along the way on the handheld. At the end of my journey, I had no clue where I was - having suspended my own sense of navigation so I could really test the gadget. This is approximately where I was


And, boy, did it bring me back to my starting point! It's a Garmin eTrex (the yellow cell phone-like device you see on the ledge in the first photo), and it locks to 4 satellites before a trek. Then an animated character walks along with you leaving a trail behind. When I wanted to navigate back to where I started, I simply had to walk along with the on-screen character and bingo! I was there. About 40 ft from the point of origin, the GPS flashed 'Destination arriving' which impressed me no end.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.