Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The regal has landed

A noisy flight brings us to Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport at about 8 in the evening. Devi Ahilyabai Holkar. The founder queen of Indore. I can't say if I've had more goosebumps anticipating the company of royals for a week at the wedding I'm attending, or landing at an airport with a blue-blooded affiliation such as this.

Anyway, we're whisked away urgently from the airport on a bone clattering ride to our base camp in Vijay Nagar. Tata Spacios can do with better suspension.

The house is draped in lights, and stands out in the darkness with its bigness and beauty. The groom meets us at the door of our Spacio, handshakes and congratulations all around. Almost immediately a couple royals from Jhabua appear. His Highness Rajkunwar Kamlendra Singh is introduced to me and I can't handle the goosebumps anymore. Next up - his wife Rajkumari Brindeshwai, the princess of Orchcha, near Jhansi. Her Highness is dressed in a lovely peach sequined sari, with a final flourish of her pallu over her head. Rajkunwar chooses to dress more like a business executive. I'm dressed like a redneck and smelling of...um...Bombay airport. For a moment, I don't feel a huge disconnect between myself and the Spacio. I make a personal note - must dress a lot better for this wedding.

Meanwhile, in the company of kings and queens of an erstwhile glory, I have too many lumps in my throat to make any suitable conversation.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.